YBOR CITY, Fla. — The Hillsborough County Health Department warned the public last week that a server at Hamburger Mary's Bar and Grille in Ybor City tested positive for Hepatitis A and the restaurant was shutting down, due to the issue.

But in a special Dirty Dining report, we're now discovering, the emergency closure was actually due to live roaches and rodents in the kitchen.

On October 24, inspectors went to Hamburger Mary's Bar and Grille at 1800 East 8th Avenue in Ybor City and discovered over 40 live and dead roaches in the bar area, by the reach in cooler on the cook's line, in the alcohol closet in the kitchen, the beer storage area, and by the mop sink and chemical storage area.

And the state found more than 250 rodent droppings and more droppings ‘ oo numerous to count' behind the bar with beverages, alcohol and storage.  Two-dozen flying insects were also seen in the bar area and server station.

Hamburger Mary's also had serious food temperature violations on the cook's line with diced chicken at 47-48°F and shell eggs at 50-degrees. All cold food should be at 41 degrees Fahrenheit or below.

And hot food was well below the minimum of 135 degrees Fahrenheit with cooked onions at 94-131°F.

Among the 45 violations documented from October 24-26, inspectors saw raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food with raw pork stored over corn and beans in the walk-in freezer, a cross contamination issue that could make you sick.

The inspection reports also revealed that servers were seen not washing their hands after handling dirty dishes, another server touched their face and grabbed food out of the reach in cooler and a different server touched his ear and nose and then served food.

In addition, an accumulation of food debris and grease was seen in the reach in coolers, walk-in cooler, fryer, cutting board, soda guns, and the interior of the ice machine, food prepared onsite and held more than 24 hours and not properly date marked including chicken, Cuban sandwiches, and Mac and cheese balls.

ABC Action News anchor Wendy Ryan spoke with Hamburger Mary's owner, Kurt, who told her over the phone that after this inspection, he fired the pest control company and hired a new one. Kurt also hired two new kitchen managers and cleaned up all of the violations found. He now believes his restaurant is one of the cleanest in Hillsborough County. The restaurant has since reopened.




A bad drag show can be a painful experience, but this is on a whole other level.  A woman who visited the Tampa, FL Hamburger Mary’s is suing the restaurant, alleging physical and emotional pain at the hands of a drag queen.  Hands is the wrong word, actually.  Breasts is more accurate.

Neldin Molina writes in her complaint that she went out to dinner at Mary’s with friends and family on May 30, 2015, for a birthday celebration.  A drag queen who goes by Amanda D’Hod (or maybe not — Molina says she isn’t 100% on the name — was that a read?) allegedly started her performance by approaching Molina’s table, grabbing Molina’s head and wiggling “her breast against the Plaintiff’s face and head eight times.”

The wiggles turned to grabs, the grabs to shakes, and the shakes to pushes. Allegedly.   Molina says the chesty experience caused uncontrollable headaches and cervical pain, resulting in a trip to the emergency room at Memorial Hospital of Tampa.  She’s seeking payment for medical costs, as well as emotional and physical suffering, to the tune of $1.5 million.

“It’s not a good thing for anyone to go up to someone and perform that way,” Molina said. “There are a lot of people who have medical issues. I wasn’t aware that this was going to happen.”  The complaint also mentions that the Hamburger Mary’s location failed to warn guests of danger.


  • Basic - -Floor area(s) covered with standing water. At beverage station near soda dispenser - opening in ceiling above soda dispenser in kitchen
  • Basic - -Water draining onto floor surface. Leaky line at soda dispenser next to ice machine - leaky faucet by hand wash sink in beverage station of back kitchen
  • Basic - Build-up of grease on nonfood-contact surface. Stove burners
  • Basic - Equipment in poor repair. Cooler hinge broken at expo line
  • Basic - Exterior door has a gap at the threshold that opens to the outside. Back door in kitchen
  • Basic - Hood filter missing from automatic fire suppression/exhaust system. **Corrected On-Site**
  • Basic - Stored food not covered in walk-in cooler. Mac and cheese balls, sauce and almond dessert **Corrected On-Site**
  • Basic - Walk-in cooler floor soiled. Beer cooler outside area
  • High Priority - Raw animal food ( seafood) stored over cooked food.( milk/ pickles ) in tall cooler **Corrected On-Site**
  • High Priority - Vacuum breaker missing at mop sink faucet or on fitting/splitter added to mop sink faucet.
  • Intermediate - -Reach-in cooler shelves soiled with food expo line ( corrected on site) -soiled can opener on prep table in kitchen ( corrected on site ) **Corrected On-Site**
  • Intermediate - Proof of required state approved employee training not available for some employees. To order approved program food safety material, call DBPR contracted provider: Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association (SafeStaff) 866-372-7233.
  • Intermediate - Ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food prepared onsite and held more than 24 hours not properly date marked. Foods in walk in cooler **Corrected On-Site**

copyright 2019